Saturday, November 22, 2008

I love living in Taipei..



Many people at work asked me :why do you want to study and work here (Taipei/Taiwan), and not in your own country(Indonesia). For me it's a trivial question. For almost every aspect I care about, Taipei just won comfortably. Let me explain some of them:





1. Public security is much better here (though my bicycle just got stolen some days ago,what an irony lol ). I feel safe walking in this city around midnight, unlike my home city (Medan) where I I had to worry everytime I was going home beyond 10 pm .

2. Public transportation is also very good. Traffic jam is rare occasion, MRT is doing an awesome job, and broken signs/ roads get fixed quickly. The only concern is taxi cabs, but I think it's just the same everywhere in the world. Maybe someone need to show me a town where the taxi drivers behave neatly :p.

3. It's a super convinient city. 24-7 stores(yes, 711 I'm talking about you) are everywhere. You can pay phone bills, parking fees,even fines there. Alot of night markets also running until 1 am more. That's why I'm living near one of those night markets, because I can find almost anything I need without driving too far.

4. I think this is the most important thing why I still live and work here after graduating, because I feel at home. Overall people are nice and treat me like a local, not a foreigner. That's something I could hardly get when I'm in my hometown. Funny isn't it? You're treated like a foreigner in your own country, but that's exactly what I felt when I'm in Medan before.

The current global crisis may change the situation a bit (people are more depressed), but I believe it still will be a place to live some years ahead. Maybe Taiwanese poeple need to be grateful to have such wonderful place to live, and not just complaining about something almost non-existent everyday.

1 comment:

Drake said...

雖然這一篇 blog 在你一發表時我就看過了,不過到了現在才突然想到

「我也很喜歡在台北的生活」

PS. 除了吵了點與熱了點以外~